Update and Redux: C – Bahn Mi Salad is a deconstructed Bahn Mi Sandwich. All the great ingredients into a salad. My favorite things in life level up.
C – I just turned my favorite sandwich into a salad.
I think this has become my favorite salad, too. I love a good, French-style bread for my bahn mi. But, sometimes there’s too much bread and not enough filling. I figured why not eliminate the bread and just go for the filling.
Then, I thought, How do I deal with the pate part?
Luke suggested putting a slather of pate on the bottom of the bowl or plate and deconstruct it that way.
That was a good idea. But, I started to miss the crispy bread at that point.
I thought of croutons and spreading small dabs of pate on them. I started to think that would get too messy when I started to eat.
Then, I thought why not make the croutons bigger and spread more pate on them. This will work. And it did.
This salad is like a bahn mi sandwich with a lot more filling. It’s not as portable as a sandwich, but tastes just as good.
The crispy pate crostini might even make it better than the sandwich.
|Lettuce Week: Bahn Mi Salad|
- 1 carrot, julienned
- ½ diakon, julienned
- 2 garlic cloves, minced, divided
- salt to taste
- 1 tsp sugar
- 2 tsp white vinegar, separated
- 1 tsp soy sauce
- 1 tsp hot sauce
- black pepper to taste
- 1 Tbsp grapeseed oil
- 10 small mixed lettuce leaves
- 3 sprigs cilantro, roughly chopped
- 1 grilled chicken leg-quarter, bones discarded and meat shredded
- 4 large crostini, toasted
- 1 Tbsp pate, See recipe link below.
- In a small mixing bowl, place carrots, diakon, 1 minced garlic clove, a pinch of salt and a teaspoon of white vinegar. Mix well and taste. Adjust to your liking. Set aside.
- In another bowl, place soy sauce, a teaspoon of white vinegar, pinch of pepper, hot sauce and 1 clove of garlic. Mix well. Whisk in grapeseed oil. Mix well.
- Place a few tablespoons of dressing in the bottom of a large mixing bowl.
- Place lettuce in the bowl and toss.
- Place dressed lettuce on a serving plate.
- Top with grilled chicken.
- Top with carrot and diakon mixture.
- Top with cilantro.
- Sprinkle more dressing, if needed.
- Spread pate over crostinis.
- Place crostinis on serving plate.
How to Make Pate recipe
It’s a really easy salad. All the parts could be made a head of time and assembled right when you want to eat it.
Just like a bahn mi sandwich.