C – These were the most surprising pickles for me.
I usually avoid buying bread and butter pickles from the grocery store. They always seem to go wasted. They usually are too sweet for their own good. I just don’t understand why people could like them so much.
When Luke suggest we make some, I was reluctant. Of course, I couldn’t pass up homemade pickles. It’s such a rare treat for someone to make me homemade pickles.
Of course, if I don’t like them, I am sure Jim will eat them. Right?
I was surprised that these pickles didn’t taste like the sweet bread and butter pickles I am used to. They were crunchy slices of perfectly balanced pickles. I loved the taste. They were slightly sweet, salty and sour tasting. They were so good. I loved them with the tuna sandwich I made.
I was really surprised. The combination of the mustard and the turmeric really made these pickles taste a lot different than the dill pickles we made earlier. They were the best bread and butter pickles I have ever had.
|Bread and Butter Pickles|
- 8-10 pickling cucumbers, sliced ¼ inch thick
- ½ white onion, sliced
- 1 Tbsp tumeric
- ½ Tbsp yellow mustard seed
- ½ Tbsp brown mustard seed
- 2 cups white vinegar
- 1⅓ cups apple cider vinegar
- 6 Tbsp sugar
- 4 Tbsp salt, divided
- Place cucumbers in a medium bowl. Add 2 tablespoons salt and water to cover the cucumbers the in bowl. Mix well. Let sit for 30 minutes.
- Drain the salt water. Place onions and cucumber, without the salt water, into the pickle jar. Alternate onion and cucumber until the jar is completely filled.
- In a medium sauce pan place vinegar, turmeric, mustard seeds, sugar and 2 tablespoons salt. Bring to a boil. Turn off heat and let cool to room temperature.
- Place liquid mixture into jar. Place jar in refrigerator and let sit for 2 weeks.
- Shake once a day to ensure seasonings are distributed evenly.
- DO NOT OPEN UNTIL READY.
- Open after two weeks to taste.
- Serve with sandwiches or eat as a quick snack.
Thanks, Luke, for making the best bread and butter pickles I have ever had. These definitely won’t go to waste.
Can’t wait to try them with burgers and more tuna fish sandwiches.