C – I gave in.
Is my New Years resolution over already? I was just talking about how good and healthy I was being on Monday. Now, I’m making cupcakes. No, the resolution is not over yet. I just messed up.
I will start back up again on my health kick. Promise. I promise to eat only two, maybe three, of these. Promise. I couldn’t just live on date bars forever you know.
I had to make these. I found the recipe online by accident. But, I needed to make them because I had a lot of leftover cream cheese and sour cream. I didn’t want it to go to waste. OK?
I hate wasting things. Plus, the oranges were getting old. I needed to do something with them. I can only drink so much orange lime ginger blast you know.
I was glad I made it. Ken came over and he had dessert after lunch. I always seem to serve him a piece of fruit when he comes over. It was a nice treat.
It tasted great. It had a cornmeal texture which was nice and different. I loved how it had a soft sweetness to it. The orange and the orange zest made the cakes refreshing. Ken and I both had seconds. Yeah. I guess I will have three, not two, of these cakes.
|Orange Cupcakes with Orange Cream Cheese Frosting|
- ½ cup unsalted butter, very soft
- ¾ cup sugar
- 2 tsp orange zest
- 2 eggs
- ½ cup sour cream
- ¼ cup fresh squeezed orange juice
- 1½ cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ¼ tsp salt
- 8 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 4 Tbsp unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup confectioners sugar
- 2 Tbsp fresh orange juice
- 1 tsp vanilla
- ⅓ cup sour cream
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray muffing tin with cooking spray.
- Beat butter, sugar and orange zest in a large bowl until creamy.
- Add eggs one at a time, then the sour cream and orange juice.
- Mix in the dry ingredients mixing ⅓ at a time until combined.
- Pour mixture into prepared pan. Bake in the center of the oven for 20 to 22 minutes.
- Let cool in pan for 10 minutes, then invert onto cooling rack.
- Beat the cream cheese and butter until well combined.
- Add sugar, orange juice, vanilla and sour cream until combined.
- Cover and refrigerate until firm, about 10 minutes.
- Spread over cupcakes.
- Garnish with orange slices and orange zest.
- Serve with mint.
Thank goodness, I sent Ken home with a care package. My promise would have been broken.
Jim, the rest are for you. Enjoy!
Now, back to this health kick of mine.
Adapted from: http://food52.com/recipes/376_pioneerstyle_orange_cake