C – I love going to new restaurants.
I love trying new things when I find them, then going back home and recreating the dish. This sandwich was one of those things. My boyfriend and I were out in San Francisco one weekend and stumbled upon a great smoothie/sandwich restaurant. I was overwhelmed with choices, but he suggested something that was really different.
It was a mango avocado chicken panini. I was really reluctant thinking about the combo. Are mangoes in season? Is mango and avocado going to be good together? When the sandwich arrived I was starving. I was glad he ordered it. It had a good flavor profile. The mango and avocado were the best part of the sandwich. It was nice and sweet, with a hint of creaminess.
But there were a few things that I didn’t like about it. The chicken was like a chicken salad. I would have preferred whole pieces of chicken. I thought it was a bit simple and needed a little kick of spice or some kind of tang to it.
When he asked if I could make it at home, I said yes. Of course, I thought I could definitely make it better. He smiled and said, “Of course, you could.”
I couldn’t wait to share my findings with Jim in the Be Mindful. Be Human. kitchen. I talked about my new-found love of mangoes and avocados. I really wanted to make one. Jim was all for it. I grilled the chicken and Jim bought a rosemary herb slab bread. I was reluctant about adding it to the taste profile, but it was all the store had left.
I sliced mangoes and avocado. I made a creamy mayonnaise spread with cilantro, lime and garlic to add flavor. The sandwich came together quite well. I was surprised that the rosemary bread made it taste even better.
|Mango Avocado Chicken Panini|
- 2 chicken thighs, cooked, sliced thinly
- 1 small avocado, sliced
- ½ ripe mango, sliced thinly
- ¼ red onion, sliced thinly
- 2 tablespoon mayonnaise
- ¼ bunch cilantro, chopped finely
- ½ lime, juiced
- salt and pepper to taste
- ½ slab of rosemary herb bread, sliced in half
- In a small bowl, add mayonnaise, cilantro, lime juice, salt and pepper. Mix well.
- Spread mixture onto both sides of bread slab.
- To one side of the bread, add a single layer of avocado.
- On top of the avocado, add a single layer of sliced chicken
- On top of the chicken, add mango slices.
- Close the sandwich with the other side of the bread.
- Heat flat top grill on medium high. Place sandwich. Place another heavy pan on top and press down to flatten. Pressing too hard might make some of the pieces come out.
- Flip over sandwich once bread is toasted and continue toasting the other side. Continue pressing the sandwich with the other pan.
- Remove from heat. Slice sandwich on cutting board into four equal pieces.
- Serve two pieces for each person.
Everything was amazing. A nice warm and filling panini with sweet slices of mango, rich avocado and tasty chicken, packed full of flavor from the creamy mayonnaise spread and topped off with crispy, crunchy bread.
This might be my new favorite sandwich … for now.