Update and Redux: C – Vegetarians get sick too. Protein and minerals can be a challenge. Eating a plain vegetable broth just won’t cut it when you’re sick. This tofu wakame ginger soup is the perfect remedy for a sick vegetarian.
C – Gluten-free vegetarians don’t have chicken noodle soup to save them when we are sick with a cold.
Fake-wheat chicken in clear broth soup is a no-no. Gluten-free noodles? I was a bit worried this year when cold season started and I couldn’t think of an alternative to chicken noodle soup. We usually have containers of chicken noodle soup in the freezer at the ready during cold season.
Now what the heck was I going to do? It was a problem, until I discovered wakame (dried seaweed) at my Asian grocery store.
Why wakame in my cold remedy soup? To me it has a lot of flavor. The first time we ate this soup our tastes buds were in shock. It’s spicy and sour, with a meaty/seafood quality. For some reason, I need that when I am sick. It warms you throughout.
The main reason I knew this soup would do us wonders was my husband requested it without me coaxing him. We both had an on-coming cold and needed something to warm us up and clear our passageways. This soup did it.
It’s been a weekly meal for us for weeks now. The other day I wasn’t feeling really energized, but with just one bowl of this soup my energy was back up. We usually serve it with a bowl if white rice to make us full. Since it’s mostly vegetables and broth it doesn’t have too many calories.
|Cold Remedies 2015: Tofu Wakame Ginger Soup|
- Canola oil for saute
- 1 clove garlic, sliced thinly
- 1 Tbsp ginger, sliced
- 1 leek, light green and white parts only, well washed and chopped
- 4 mushrooms, sliced thinly
- 1 carrots, peeled and sliced on a bias
- 6 cups vegetable stock
- ½ cup extra firm tofu, cut into cubes
- ½ red onion, sliced thinly
- ½ cup wakame
- 1 Tbsp soy sauce
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 lime, for topping
- 2 green onion, chopped
- Hot sauce for topping, optional
- In a soup pot, heat one tablespoon oil on medium. Place garlic and cook gently.
- Add leeks and cook until soft.
- Add mushrooms and cook until soft.
- Add ginger and carrots. Mix well and cook for 5 mins.
- Add stock and soy sauce. Turn heat to high and bring to a boil.
- Turn heat down and simmer for 15 mins.
- Add wakame and tofu. Cook until wakame is soft. About 3 mins.
- Stir in onions and season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Serve hot with green onions overtop
- Garnish with a lime slice and optional hot sauce.
Being a sick vegetarian is no fun. You can’t have chicken noodle soup.
This soup is a great alternative. It’s simple, easy and delicious.